current weather for West Bakersfield, california

Monday, June 27, 2016

June 27, 2016

My new address is:
           
Sister Allie King
2721 Bernard Street
Apt. 81
Bakersfield, CA 93306

WHAT. A. WEEK.

So, we come into the apartment for the first time, go to our table and find that the Elder's left us each a pocket knife that said "you might need this :)" We're in the poorer neighborhoods and it's marvelous. Here is an accurate description of our week, from this morning: I was looking in the mirror and was thinking "wow, I didn’t get off all my makeup, my eyes are really dark," so I get make up remover to try and take it off. Yeah, it wasn’t makeup, it was just the bags under my eyes. Because we WORKED HARD THIS WEEK.

My greenie is Sister Rebekah Clegg from New Jersey and she is the most enthusiastic individual this world has ever seen! She’s A YEAR YOUNGER THAN ME!!! THAT’S CRAZY! I’M USED TO EVERYONE BEING OLDER. Life is so weird. Already met an elder from the high school class of 2016 and I hate my life.  I like training because I like greenie fire, they work so hard, mine right now is a pro already ;)

Our first day was full of miracles, one of the first doors we knocked on was a less active who goes "My dad sent you, didn’t he?" "Uh, no, we were just knocking doors and hit up this one" "Oh, really?" "Yup!" So we got her records in and met with them and they’re great and know everyone in my last area. I think the areas are connected, everyone knows everyone....

We found some great people to teach, including several Joseph Smiths, who said they are just so confused all the time by all the churches. "Kept from the truth because they know not where to find it....." And everyone here is AMAZINGGG!

We're teaching an investigator named S. that he elders taught last transfer and he is just the bee's knees. He used to be in a really bad place, and now he has the most powerful testimony of the atonement and how it got him out of that situation and helped him to actually find happiness in his life. His last battle is with smoking, he went from 2 packs a day to just a few puffs a week! He's SO CLOSE and it’s been amazing to see how repentance can change lives

This area is completely different from everywhere I've ever served but I am loving it, and the ward is full of cute old couples who love to feed missionaries. 

Sister Clegg had her first District Meeting on Friday and it started off with a bang! I'm sure many people have heard of the fire in Lake Isabella. Our District leader serves there and they couldn’t make it down so the meeting itself was a hot mess. And on the way to it we saw a woman and her daughter get hit by a car, so we had to stop and help.... they're fine, but cuts and bruises and lying on the street is NO fun. This whole week has just been crazy. She'll know what a normal mission is like soon enough!

I was reading in John 15 this week, where it talks about how Christ is the vine and if we're attached to it we'll bear good fruit. It was cool to think about because this is GOD's work, and HE'LL progress it and HE'LL help, so literally all we have to do is be worthy and work hard, stay close to the vine, and He does the rest! Living the gospel may be hard but it's so simple and I'm so grateful I get to share it with people!

I love the hymn How Firm A Foundation, just last week I decided it’s one of my favorite songs. Big fan. “Fear not I am with thee, oh be not dismayed. For I am thy God and will still give thee aid. I'll strengthen thee, help thee and cause thee to stand, upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand."  “When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie, My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply. The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design, Thy dross to consume, thy dross to consume, Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.”

Ohhh, we saw the smoke from the fire up at Lake Isabella, 30 miles away. The missionaries had to come down to Bakersfield. The members up there are suffering and are in our stake so we talked about it in church. We might even go up soon to do service since it’s so bad. I feel like I know Kern Valley and Lake Isabella since Sister Bryan was there for 5 transfers and talked about it all the time.

Love it here, pray for Lake Isabella and the hood, I love you all have a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment