current weather for West Bakersfield, california

Monday, May 9, 2016

Monday May 9, 2016

I would like to begin by pointing out how awful it is to clean up litter in the desert. We did that for service and I found 5 seat belts, pill bottles, a Mexican ID, a car door and a ton of mops and buckets, in addition to a plethora of Bakersfield's top choice of food: Jack in the Box. All covered in dirt and all in painful sagebrush bushes. And at one point we put it all in this magnificent pile only to have the wind blow it all back into the wilderness. I'm still getting thorns out of my clothes, and still brushing off the dirt.

Buuuut, we had Mission Leadership Council in Tehachapi again! It was such a good meeting, we focused on the importance of Agency and how other people have the choice whether to accept or reject this gospel. As a mission, we are becoming successful in bringing people to Christ.  Best mission? YES!!  

We also have new teaching materials for Lesson 5, “Temples and Families” and “Learning and Serving in the Church.” GO LOOK THEM UP, THEY’RE BEAUTIFUL!! (Read the news report about that HERE). Sister Bryan and I gave the training on them at Zone Conference and I had no idea how to train someone on pamphlet use other than to use it? But if anything my testimony was strengthened in the importance of member retention. It doesn't profit anyone if a convert is baptized and falls away. If we focus on all the wonderful blessings that can come after baptism, they're more likely to stay active. Anyway, done with THAT ramble. 
The South Bakersfield Zone
May 2016

Speaking of Bakes, it actually rained here. A lot. And we played. But it's so hot and the sun is so intense we had smog for a bit and it was all dried as if it never happened. Story of my life.... But it was fun while it lasted. Trying to enjoy the weather until it becomes a mini Lake of Fire and Brimstone.
 
Rain! Sister Bryan, Sister King
Bakersfield, CA  May 2016

Bakersfield has really nice and interesting people, its full of hippies and hicks, and the members are crazy strong here. They are working hard here to qualify for their own temple.  It seems like most of the LA temple workers are from Bakersfield.

We've been teaching A. again, and they taught me how to say "happy Mother's day" in Spanish. I've learned I stink at saying "happy mother's day" in Spanish. But she is 10 and has a crazy good understanding of the Plan of Salvation. They've been having daily family scripture study and prayer every morning at 6 and it's been so cool to see how much happier they've been since they've started it!! Plus she sang with the Primary on Sunday for mother's day! May or may not have cried. 

For like the second time in my mission I was invite to actually go into someone’s house to teach them on the first contact. We met this woman named P. and shared 2 sentences about the gospel with her and she said "please come in and teach me more!!" Wasn't sketchy I promise, it only appears to be that when I type it out.... She has 2 young kids, she's in her like 20s, we'll be seeing her tonight so fingers crossed it goes well!

AND I GOT TO SEE MY BEAUTIFUL FAMILY!! Via Skype! BUT IT WAS SO WONDERFUL AND THIS CHURCH IS SO TRUE AND GOD IS SO GOOD AND I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE THE BEST WEEK!!

 Video Chatting with Sister Allie King
Mothers Day  May 2016


 
Sister King, Sister Bryan
May 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment