current weather for West Bakersfield, california

Monday, August 29, 2016

August 29, 2016

MIRACLES MIRACLES MIRACLES! God is so good to us :D

First of all, I got to see Meet the Mormons again on Monday and it was Clegg’s first time watching it and she LOOOVED IIIIIT and it reminded me of how completely awesome this church is. It’s on Netflix if anyone wants to watch ;) 

So we had zone conference this week and it was so cool!! I won’t go into details but it’s safe to say that heavenly father definitely speaks through others to help us receive answers to our prayers. I just love being a missionary :D and later that day I met someone from my FIRST AREA IN BISHOP CA!! She has down syndrome and was in the ward up there at the start of my mission but moved shortly after down to Bakersfield for a better living situation and it turns out she moved about a block from where I’m living now and is in the ward :D Tender mercies, being a Mormon makes the world so dang small.

We were just chillin’ and living life when we get a call from someone in Sacramento. She said that she had given a Book of Mormon with her testimony in it to her friend right before he moved to Bakersfield and he wanted to learn more about it from the missionaries! So, of course, we are ALL over that! We taught him the restoration and plan of salvation this week and he is so excited :D and I love telling people about Joseph Smith and how he received answers to his prayer because pretty much every time without fail their eyes just light up. He said having a prophet and God’s church on the earth again would be "life changing." But, right after we taught him, he got a fridge off of craigslist that was full of bugs so we haven’t had a chance to meet with him again.... but he’s still reading so he’s a trooper!

We taught this cute old grandma who grew up on an Indian reservation in OK and she's just about the coolest person in the WORLD! She’s had a crazy life and I’ll save those stories for another day, but back in her youth he was trying to quit drugs but her dealer was awful and was keeping her and some others on lock down so she tried to BLOW HIM UP and was only in jail for 11 months!! Ha ha she's so funny, she's repented don’t worry ;) She has super cool faith and is like a crazy note taker, we were teaching the restoration and she was writing down all the scriptures we were sharing ha ha. We're also teaching her grandson, who has a tendency to go AWOL, so his mom is still looking for him... They haven’t seen him since we taught him..... Awkward.....

BUT, the highlight was EXCHANGES!! So my Sister Training Leaders right now are Sisters Wheeler and Olsen and I had the privilege of training BOTH of them so ALL MY POSTERITY WAS TOGETHER FOR THIS EXCHANGE and it was almost too fun. They are both such incredible missionaries and I always learn so much just being in the same room with them and I’m so happy that I got to go out with them again before my mission ends. We met some awesome people, but it was in their area, so I’ll be getting updates later on how their doing, ha ha.
Sister King with her three "children," the missionaries that she trained:
Sister Clegg, Sister Olsen, and Sister Wheeler.
Bakersfield, CA August 2016

We taught this great kid, he was so cool, we went over on Sunday and he said his biggest regret was not coming to church that day, he didn’t have a ride and didn’t realize he could ask us to find him one. He’s like dragging his friend along to learn more, it’s pretty funny. We made him give us his number so we can send his friend scriptures and get him to church. Friends are the best.... 

A member of the ward here is a descendant of George Sutherland, who in 1900 ran for Utah’s sole congressional seat and defeated William Henry King, my great grandfather, to serve in the House of Representatives. 

Sister King finding a document that mentions her
great grandfather, William Henry King
Bakersfield, CA, August 2016

Anyways, life is grand, this week was so fun, and continued prayers for guidance are appreciated!!! I love you all and want to quickly share one of my fav scriptures before I sign off.

Its kindda long, but its Paul talking in 2 Corinthians 12 and he’s talking about his weakness, about how on his own he can’t do much but with God he can do all things. It reads:

5 Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.

6 For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.


Everyday everything I CAN’T do is just thrown in my face, but that’s not what God wants us to focus on. In Ether 12 He says He gives men weakness that they may be HUMBLE and RELY on him. Our best will never be enough, but His best IS, and when we have weakness and rely on his power instead of our own, His best is what’s used. Weak things will be made strong in Him because His grace is sufficient for us to get the power and guidance we need. Although sin separates us from God, the weakness that comes from mortality can guide us TO Him and help us be better. I know that THAT’S why with God, ALL things are possible, even eternal salvation. I love it here, I love life, and I’ll talk to you all soon!!


Preparation Day Activity:
Digging for Shark Teeth, in the
deserts of Bakersfield, CA




No comments:

Post a Comment