current weather for West Bakersfield, california

Monday, January 4, 2016

January 4, 2016

I don’t have much time this week to write because life is just crazy!!

Transfer calls came in.... and I'm leaving. After ONE TRANSFER!! I'm going to Berkshire Ward in south Bakersfield and I'll be with Sister Larson! I've also been called to be a Sister Training Leader, which in this mission is kind of like a Zone Leader for Sister Missionaries, but I'm not entirely sure all that it will entail. God just keeps pushing me to my limits but I guess I signed up for that when I came out here in the first place. I'm really sad to be leaving Snow, but I've heard good things about this new area and I'm excited! For the most part. Also terrified. But whatevs.

This week was a bit slow, no one was home when they said they'd be and everyone has post-holiday sickness, but we had a funny experience with one of our investigators. He's pretty shy and has been starting to lose contact with us and a few of the young men in the ward, so we decided to bring a cute  young woman from the ward to a lesson (not because of her looks or anything, she just happened to be amazing). So he opens the door, his eyes bug out and he stumbles forward out of the doorway and had to catch himself. It took like 5 seconds before he could mumble out words. It was pretty funny, I don’t want her to flirt to convert or anything, so maybe we won't do that again, ha ha.

Good meal of the week: I had rice and corn and avocado and sweet & spicy mustard with Sriracha and its SO GOOD! Try it!

It now actually rains like once a week here! It was more frequent at the start of the transfer but it still gets nice and cloudy. It’s like 24 as a high in Bishop so I believe there is snow up north.

There are a few less actives that we visited this week that apparently have never let missionaries or members into their homes before, so it was really exciting to FINALLY get to know them!

I was studying patience this week in my personal study and came across Mosiah 23:21-22,: "Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith. Nevertheless—whosoever putteth his trust in Him the same shall be lifted up at the last day. Yea, and thus it was with this people.”

…and that really stood out to me. God gives us trials to stretch us, to make us work harder and to GROW! When we're given hard things in life, being bitter and frustrated is wasting an opportunity to draw closer to our Savior and learn how to become more like Him. I've found that when I choose to be frustrated about a situation, I choose to be miserable. We can change our attitudes through diligent prayer and study, and I've seen the blessings that it brings! I love this chance I have to serve the Lord and I love this gospel!

Sister King

Sister King, Sister Olsen, The Hamiltons
Bakersfield, CA, December 2015

Sister King, Sister Olsen, Playing Ultimate Frisbee
Bakersfield, CA, December 2015





No comments:

Post a Comment